From the Co-Presidents
On behalf of the entire leadership team of Wharton Private Equity Partners (“WPEP”), we would like to take a moment to describe our organization, its mission and our goals.
WHARTON PRIVATE EQUITY PARTNERS is a rapidly growing organization founded in 1996. It represents more than 2,500 Wharton and University of Pennsylvania alumni working to better the conditions in the private equity industry by sharing the best practices and innovative ideas among members, and by improving the overall standing of the members within the private investor industry. The organization increases interaction between the members and the private equity industry. It brings greater knowledge to our members through varied educational programs, symposiums and panel discussions around the globe.
- Wharton Private Equity Partners, (“WPEP”), is open to private equity investment professionals who have graduated from The Wharton School or the University of Pennsylvania AND who are investing third-party capital in deals. In addition to being Wharton and UPENN alums, members are private equity professionals investing in venture capital, growth capital, mezzanine capital, buyouts, or secondaries as a general partner are eligible. Alum who are limited partners of funds and professionals who manage third-party fund-of-funds targeting the private equity sector are also eligible.
- Advisors, investment bankers, placement agents, senior lenders, lawyers, consultants, accountants, and other service providers are welcome to participate in many of the club’s events, and sponsor events, but currently do not participate as members.
- WPEP co-hosts events throughout the year with many related organizations that allow members and nonmembers to share ideas and source deals with organizations, including the Chicago Private Equity Network, Argyle Executive Forum, Association for Corporate Growth, Harvard Club and other UPENN Clubs.
Goals & Objectives:
–Education. The primary objective of WPEP is to better the conditions in the private equity industry, educate our members and to strengthen the relationships among the members who are active in the private equity industry as GPs or LPs. The organization serves to foster the exchange of ideas and knowledge as it relates to private equity investing.
–Awareness. The organization improves the “broad recognition” of Wharton and the WPEP community with students and the industry through initiatives such as the WPEP Fellowship Program, Business Plan Competition and Mentor Initiative.
–Interaction. The organization strengthens the link between members engaged in the private equity industry and the school in a way that is relevant and compelling to private equity professionals.
Members of WPEP receive:
- Significantly discounted or free admission to dozens of WPEP educational and deal-focused programs throughout the year from our annual Distressed Investing Symposium to the annual Dean’s Event featuring Wharton Professors such as Jeremy Seigel.
- A complimentary copy of the annual Wharton Private Equity Review which analyzes the emerging trends and most successful strategies in private equity investing industry and offers insight from industry leaders in several moderated round table discussions.
- Access to the latest in industry specific and private equity related research form the University as well as from WPEP sponsored research projects.
- Access to current MBA candidates via the MBA Private Equity Club for both internships and full time positions post-MBA.
- Ability to post current positions on the WPEP Website to attract the best possible candidates for your Firm.
- Opportunity to participate in the newly created WPEP Mentor Program which connects our members with current MBA candidates to provide guidance, industry knowledge and advice in their career development.
- Please fill out the on-line application below which will be submitted to the WPEP Membership Committee for review (if your membership has expired and you are not current on your dues, you will be asked to resubmit your information prior to payment). You will not be asked for any financial information at this stage (i.e. credit card number). If further clarification is needed, the WPEP Administrator will contact you. Once approved, you will receive authorization via email, and instructions to complete your transaction on-line.
David Mars (WG ’06)
White Owl Capital
Spencer Hoffman (WG '01)
Lovell Minnick Partners